Breaking Financial NewsThe latest news from a range of sources to keep you informed of the latest financial developments
- UK petrol price passes £1.40 a litre, highest in almost a decadeby Gwyn Topham Transport correspondent on 15 October 2021 at 2:38 pm
Average forecourt prices are 2.5p a litre from all-time high of April 2012The price of petrol at UK pumps has passed £1.40 a litre, its highest point in almost a decade, increasing the pressure on […]
- Slippers and saucepan lids: readers’ eight essential tips for saving energy at home this winterby Guardian readers on 15 October 2021 at 11:25 am
How to save resources and money? Shut the microwave door, turn down your thermostat and stuff an old pair of jeans up the chimneyEnergy is most expensive during peak times – at 7pm, for example, […]
- UK contactless card limit more than doubles to £100by Hilary Osborne on 15 October 2021 at 10:23 am
Experts warn about fraud and possible problems for people who struggle to control spending• UK contactless payments limit is rising – should you be worried?People in the UK using contactless […]
- Shoppers start to use new £100 contactless payment limiton 15 October 2021 at 9:43 am
But retailers say it could take months to update terminals so people can spend up to £100 without a Pin.
- Shortage problem: What's the UK running low on and why?on 15 October 2021 at 6:11 am
Shortages are one thing we don't seem to be running out of in the UK right now.
- Homes for Strictly Come Dancing fans – in picturesby Anna White on 15 October 2021 at 6:00 am
From a former 19th century ballroom in Nottinghamshire to a townhouse music room in Kensington to practise your moves Continue reading...
- ‘Right to request’ flexible work not granted for half of UK’s working mothersby Alexandra Topping on 15 October 2021 at 5:00 am
One in two have request turned down while those that work flexibly face discrimination, survey findsHalf of the UK’s working mothers do not get the flexibility they ask for, while those that do […]
- DVLA staff to get payments worth £735 as government seeks to avoid strikesby Heather Stewart on 14 October 2021 at 8:33 pm
Transport secretary under pressure to resolve ongoing dispute with 54,000 HGV licences awaiting processingStaff at the DVLA have been promised payments worth £735 as the government seeks to avoid […]
- Amazon asks Ring owners to respect privacy after court rules usage broke lawby Dan Milmo on 14 October 2021 at 7:53 pm
Court upholds harassment claim after neighbour complained about use of security cameras and doorbellsAmazon has urged owners of its Ring security cameras and doorbells – which come with a camera […]
- Disabled woman to take DWP to court over ‘immoral’ automatic benefit deductionsby Patrick Butler Social policy editor on 14 October 2021 at 6:46 pm
Helen Timson says third party deductions scheme can leave many without enough money to buy foodA disabled woman is to challenge the Department for Work and Pensions in court over what she calls its […]
- ‘Ideally located’: £250,000 parking space for sale near Harrodsby Rupert Neate Wealth correspondent on 14 October 2021 at 4:54 pm
Underground space in Basil Street car park, Knightsbridge, costs nearly as much as average UK house An underground car parking space opposite Harrods has gone on sale for £250,000 – just under the […]
- Daligas: Another energy supplier folds over soaring priceson 14 October 2021 at 3:22 pm
Regulator says it will find a new supplier for customers of Daligas, the third energy provider to fold this week.
- Home Office has backlog of 400,000 applications for EU settlement schemeby Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent on 14 October 2021 at 1:23 pm
Data suggests 2 million more EU citizens want to stay in UK than was estimated in 2016The Home Office has a backlog of 400,000 applications from EU citizens and their family members to remain in the […]
- Mortgage lending strengthens despite Bank of England base rate warningby Phillip Inman on 14 October 2021 at 11:50 am
Price war sees even lower interest rates in third quarter with lenders accepting smaller depositsA mortgage price war that has brought the cost of monthly payments down over the past year is expected […]
- What can I do if my energy supplier goes bust?on 14 October 2021 at 9:17 am
Around 2 million customers have seen their energy firm collapse amid soaring gas prices.
- Two more UK energy firms go bust as prices soaron 14 October 2021 at 7:24 am
Yet more small suppliers have been caught between soaring energy costs and the UK's price cap.
- Toy shops warn of Christmas shortages amid port delayson 14 October 2021 at 1:33 am
The boss of toy chain the Entertainer says it will be harder to get stock to the right places at the right time.
- Britain’s homes could be worth £9.2tn on open market, report showsby Hilary Osborne on 13 October 2021 at 11:01 pm
Property website values total UK housing at four times the value of the country’s economyBritain’s homes could be worth as much as £9.2tn on the open market – four times the value of the UK […]
- BP-backed renewable energy firm becomes one of latest suppliers to collapseby Rob Davies on 13 October 2021 at 6:41 pm
Pure Planet, backed by oil firm, and Colorado Energy brings number of failed energy firms to 14 this yearUK energy crisis: will bills go up and should I switch supplier?Pure Planet, a renewable […]
- KPMG used ‘untruthful defence’ in Silentnight inquiry, says watchdogby Jasper Jolly on 13 October 2021 at 3:53 pm
Report reveals unprecedented rebuke of ‘big four’ accountant after senior partner found to have liedOne of KPMG’s senior partners lied in an investigation into the scandal over the bed company […]
- The UK government’s skills bill is a disaster for young people | David Blunkett and Kenneth Bakerby David Blunkett and Kenneth Baker on 13 October 2021 at 2:35 pm
Ministers are trying to sneak through a cull of post-16 qualifications. In the Lords we are taking a stand to protect vocational trainingLast night the combined opposition – and some Conservatives […]
- Asda reports no petrol supply issues for a weekon 13 October 2021 at 2:33 pm
Supermarket chain says increase in demand was temporary as petrol shortages in London ease.
- Wives do not earn as much as their husbands, says new global studyon 12 October 2021 at 11:21 pm
Researchers say data from 45 countries over 40 years shows household is a place of great inequality.
- Covid bubble rules scuppered our holiday, but we still had to pay £190by Anna Tims on 12 October 2021 at 11:00 pm
We had to delay our Scottish get-together, then the property was withdrawn, but Unique Cottages kept the booking feeEighteen months ago, before Covid struck, I booked a large house in Scotland for a […]
- Euromillions results: UK's biggest-ever lottery jackpot rolls overon 12 October 2021 at 9:31 pm
A record £184m Euromillions prize will be up for grabs again on Friday after no ticket won on Tuesday.
- Pensions: Experts say £10,900 a year needed to retireon 12 October 2021 at 11:42 am
The spending budget for a minimum standard of living increases to £16,700 for a couple, the calculations suggest.
- Why are gas prices so high and what is happening to fuel bills?on 12 October 2021 at 8:03 am
Businesses and householders face a rise in energy bills, with some energy suppliers going bust.
- I can’t get a refund after my theatre show was cancelled due to Covidby Miles Brignall on 12 October 2021 at 6:00 am
I’ve emailed the theatre and the agency, Encore Tickets, but just get an automated replyLast year I used the Encore Tickets website to purchase four tickets to see The Shark is Broken at the […]
- Budget: Little room for more spending, says IFSon 11 October 2021 at 11:00 pm
Despite recent tax rises, there is limited scope to spend more on public services, says the IFS.
- Airbnb fraudster checked out with my keys and £600 speakersby Miles Brignall on 11 October 2021 at 6:00 am
The site rejected my request to pay for new locks and refused to discuss it furtherCan you please ask Airbnb how it allowed a fraudster to stay in my house and steal my speakers and keys? I rent out […]
- How to sell items online safely and profitablyby Shane Hickey on 11 October 2021 at 6:00 am
Here’s how to declutter your home, from eBay to MusicMagpie – and make money in the processWhether it is an embrace of minimalism, a want to clean up after 18 months of working from home or a […]
- I want to buy a new house and turn mine into rental property. Do I have to pay capital gains tax?by Virginia Wallis on 11 October 2021 at 6:00 am
I also plan to put the rental into trust for my son when he turns 18, but I am confused about the levyQ I am really confused about capital gains tax. I’ve just put an offer on a second house, in […]
- The Guardian view on Amazon’s shops: benefit society, not just consumers | Editorialby Editorial on 10 October 2021 at 5:25 pm
Is a low-tax corporate form of work intensification where staff are tracked and assessed to ensure they meet exacting targets good for Britain? What Amazon does today, its competitors seem to do […]
- Will October again be memorable for wrong reasons as economic risks build? | Larry Elliottby Larry Elliott on 10 October 2021 at 10:40 am
Bad things happen in this month and, as IMF prepares for annual meeting, signs of a crisis loomBad things happen in October. It was in this month 13 years ago that the global banking system came […]
- Kraft Heinz says people must get used to higher food priceson 10 October 2021 at 10:22 am
The boss of the food giant says rising prices are partly due to pandemic disruption.
- Blame the erosion of trade union power, not migrants, for poor wages | Kenan Malikby Kenan Malik on 10 October 2021 at 8:00 am
If we really want a high-wage, high-skill economy, it’s time to go back to the futureEmployers use migrants to try to drive down wages. The reasons for low pay and productivity in Britain have […]
Awards, Accreditations & Trade Associations
At NorthStar, we are committed to delivering the best service to our clients and working to the very highest professional standards. Our work has been rewarded with a number of awards and professional accreditations. We are also members of the leading financial services professional trade associations.